ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions of your former LB coach Mike Cox???

mywillyispurple

Feb 5, 2003
I knew he was released by your coach, but we just got word Snyder hired him, on paper he seems to have had pretty good success with coaching the LB units wherever he's been. How was he as a recruiter, etc. And how much of the fault do you think lay with him for defensive woes UW had this past year. Just curious. thanks.

As a recruiter, he never really impressed me, but he wasn't here for that long, so it's hard to really judge. Although this doesn't solely rest on his shoulders, he never brought in elite talent for his linebacking crew.

However, with that being said, he showed the ability to turn two- and three-stars into all-conference players. Cort Dennison, Mason Foster, Victor Aiyewa, Donald Butler to name a few. I wouldn't really blame UW's struggles on defense this year on him. Honestly, everyone was to blame, but the play-calling, the secondary, and the line would all be things I would point to for blame before the linebacking crew. Cox got a lot out of a not-very-talented unit. He wasn't fantastic, obviously, but he wasn't the worst thing about that defense.

In short, not a great recruiter (although didn't have much time to prove that) but I thought he did a fine job as a coach given the situation. Could be an underrated hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT