ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Huskies, Why did you guys want to run Sark out of town?

TrojanHorse98

Aug 13, 2006
I have read a bunch of different things on the USC board and Have my own negative opinion of the hire but I want to hear from the horse's mouth as to why you guys didn't like Sark..

I pray I'm wrong about him but only time will tell

0-5 vs. Oregon
Game management issues
Clock management issues
7-18 vs. ranked opponents
3 seasons of 3 game losing streaks
lots of BLOWOUT losses

get the picture yet?
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 12/8 3:02 PM by JDub96

It was not 100% that wanted him gone. It was probably around 70% wanting to keep Sark and a vocal 30% wanting him gone. I was in the 70% to keep him. The people that wanted him gone pointed to his lack of game management and the inability to win big games. I was of the mindset that he was learning on the job and would get better with time. Many people thought that Sark's teams had plateaued and would never become elite in the Pac-12.

Pluses for Sark.
Hired an excelent staff, maybe the best in the Pac.
Excellent recruiter and recruiting staff
Good play caller
Media and booster friendly

Minuses
Game management
Sloppy team play, many penalties.
Offensive line recruitment
player development

Personally I was worried who we could hire to replace Sark if he was fired. Well we got very lucky getting Coach Petersen and I am all smiles as he will bring back toughness and accountability. I believe we upgraded. My only concern will be recruiting. I will also say that coach Wilcox was a huge part of the Huskies success in the last couple years and I am really hoping he stays on the staff.

I think Sark can be successful in USC. At USC he will recruit exceptionally well. His in game coaching may hurt some but you will probably have the talent to overcome most of it but you guys may lose some big games due to his lack of in game coaching, player development and on field discipline. He is better than I think alot of USC fans give him credit for but we shall have to wait and see.

I don't think we ran him out of town, though he is no dummy as he was aware of the increased scrutiny on him as the season was about to start. They did well until losing to Stanford. They could have beaten Stanford as they dominated both offensively and defensively. Unfortunately, they played undisciplined with sloppy special teams and a lot of penalties, which I believe made a difference in the outcome. They hung with Oregon until the mid-3rd quarter, then fell apart. Coming off of these two critical conference losses, they went on the road to ASU with little motivation.

The drums then started to beat for his firing after those 3 losses and he did what he could to bring the team back on a winning track. He has a chance to succeed at USC for the following reasons:

1-good recruiter
2-good evaluator of talent
3-good communicator with ability to connect with his players
4-great school with world-class reputation
5-he will be happy to be working and living at home in SoCal, where his heart has always been and family nearby

Some of the reasons for marginal success over the last 5 years at UW:

1-just an okay play-caller and game-manager / Norm Chow in my opinion did better as USC offensive coordinator
2-very undisciplined players, especially after going to the up-tempo offense / No. 3 most penalized team in FBS with 100 flags for a total of 908 yards; that's 9 football fields given up to opponents this year: http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/totalPenalties
3-defense underperformed during his first 3 years
4-was loyal to a fault to senior QB Keith Price this year even though Cyler Miles was clearly better than Price--ironically, I believe his loyalty to Keith almost cost him the USC job as Keith started in the Apple Cup and nearly lost that game with his poor performance; I believe if UW lost that game, Pat Haden doesn't hire Sark.
5-lastly, Sark's ego is larger than the Coliseum--it would surprise me if he gives up the offensive play-calling and upon his departure he stated publicly that the next UW coach will be able to reap the benefits of his hard work (forget the blood, sweat and tears from his players)

Good luck to USC (except for when they play UW). I like USC, storied college football history and great school, but it won't surprise me if Sark ends up going the same way as his buddy, Kiffin.

Knew he wanted to coach USC and should have them in BcS games almost every year. Wish him the best, really did a great job here.

We'll do fine but Sark is going to be missed.

thanks all for your input

it looks like he can reel in the big fish on national signing day

now to see about those in game coaching decisions

hopefully you guys hauled in a good class too

he didn't real in anyone. USC and being home in SoCal did.

lets see Sark manage a game and make adjustments. he sure didn't at UW

avg coach

Above average coach. Took over a pathetic program with no pulse and moved it forward. He will be a force at USC. UW will also continue to improve, However, USC will win PAC 12 before UW.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT