ADVERTISEMENT

Live blog: Oregon State vs. Washington

Ron Newberry

Oct 11, 2010
Join the UDubNation.com staff and discuss the Huskies' Pac-12 Conference tournament matchup with Oregon State. Luke Severn and other staff will share observations before and during the game. Tip is set for noon Pacific today.

Matchup I'm most looking forward to

Jared Cunningham had a pretty poor game yesterday, so expect him to bounce back in a big way. With that being said, I'm eager to see who the Huskies will guard the explosive guard.

I don't think Romar will put Gaddy on him (although he has done it before), so that leaves Tony Wroten or Terrence Ross. Whoever it is will make for a very exciting matchup to watch.

I also wonder if Shawn Kemp Jr. will get more run in this one because neither Aziz N'Diaye nor Darnell Gant match up very well with OSU's big boy in the middle, Joe Burton.

Luke Severn here. It's a little more than 30 minutes till tip-off, so I just wanted to make a few pre-game remarks about the matchup.

In their last matchup, UW defeated OSU in Corvallis 75-72. Terrence Ross had 21 points and 13 rebounds, while OSU's Jared Cunningham scored 23 points to go along with seven rebounds. It was a close game throughout, and the Huskies squeezed out a win. It was a game that could have slipped through their fingers, but they dug deep and pulled out a solid win away from home.

Oregon State comes into this game following a win yesterday over Washington State 69-64. This may go ignored, but look for the Huskies to come out with more energy than the Beavers. Playing back-to-back games is never easy, and while OSU may come out with a lot of energy, they simply aren't as rested as the Huskies. The Dawgs haven't played a game since last Saturday, so they should look much fresher.

Regardless of rest, this matchup should prove to be an interesting one. OSU and UW both have good offenses, so expect this game to be in the upper 70's or low 80's. I believe OSU is slightly better than their No. 9 tournament seed reflects, so don't expect the Huskies to blow them out by any means. OSU could very well upset the Dawgs. OSU plays a quirky 1-3-1 zone defense, so play close attention to how the Dawgs counteract that zone. Look for guys like Terrence Ross, Darnell Gant, and C.J. Wilcox to shoot three's. The team might have to live and die by the three today.
This post was edited on 3/8 11:46 AM by lukese7
This post was edited on 3/8 12:14 PM by lukese7

Initial observations

UW is rebounding well. They have good energy so far and are running in transition, but they aren't executing. They're turning the ball over a bit too much, but luckily for them, OSU isn't capitalizing on their mistakes yet. OSU is getting points in the paint though.

Terrence Ross just hit a wide open three. Like I said earlier, the Huskies are going to be shooting quite a bit of threes today, so keep looking for that.

OSU isn't playing their traditional 1-3-1 zone. They're in a 2-3. It will be interesting to see how the Dawgs adjusts.

Huskies up 8-7 heading into a timeout.

Ugly start

Well, this isn't looking any different than the ugly Pac-12 first-round games from yesterday.

Both teams are struggling on offense.

The Huskies have missed a couple open 3's and Wroten just threw it out of bounds right past an unaware Desmond Simmons.

On the other side, the Beavers have looked stagnant and Jared Cunningham missed a wide open layup on a fast break.

It's 8-7 Washington at the first TV timeout.

With the game under way, it's time to share a few notes.

First of all, did anyone else hear that Darnell Gant would be the first Husky to go to four NCAA tournaments in a row? I'm sure that's somewhere in the back of his mind.

After yesterday's game, there's a lot of emphasis on Oregon State's Jared Cunningham. I'm interested to see what he does as the first half continues.

I was going to say that Oregon State was having a hard time finishing, but after a steal and subsequent dunk, I'd say my initial impression was a little off, at least for now.

The Huskies are doing well at defensive rebounds, which wil be important in this game.

Both teams look incredibly energized.

Current score: OSU 11, UW 12
This post was edited on 3/8 12:37 PM by ksayles

If the Huskies continue to play like this, they will lose

To put it simply, Washington looks bad.

On offense, no one is moving the ball against OSU's 2-3 zone. They make 1-2 passes and settle for a three. When it's C.J. Wilcox taking the 3, that's fine, but Abdul Gaddy has taken 3 (0-3) and Desmond Simmons has taken an ugly one.

The Huskies need to get either Wroten or Ross flashing to the middle of the zone, but they are content with passing it around the outside right now. That won't get it done.

On defense, the Huskies just look slow. OSU is finding the back-door cutters and Washington isn't there to help. All of the Beavers' baskets are coming right at the hoop. That can't happen.

It's only 19-15, OSU leadds, but I don't like the energy I'm seeing from the Huskies.

Looking slightly uncomfortable

UW doesn't look comfortable in this zone yet.

Cunningham is doing what he does best: scoring. He stole the ball on a lazy pass by Wroten, and then the next play down hit a nice running lay-up.

Wilcox is feeling it, hitting a couple threes. If he can keep this up, could have a huge game. UW is shooting a lot of threes as I expected.

Good move by Romar

Romar has switched the zone and that's smart. The Beavers have 18 points in the paint already. Make them hit some jump shots.

Also, Aziz is doing a great job of staying straight up when contact comes. He's staying out of foul trouble, which is important.

Beating the zone

The Huskies need to start dribble penetrating if they want to beat this zone. They're just passively passing the ball around.

Simmons just had a nice offensive rebound to draw the foul.

Fast break

Both teams are really looking to run in transition right now. It's quite a fast-paced contest. These last 5 minutes of the half are very important if they Huskies want to go into halftime with momentum. Momentum will be huge in this game.

Cunningham just had a really nice and-1. I don't see the Dawgs containing him today.

Huskies are getting offensive rebounds, but aren't capitalizing on them. They are turning the ball over too much

OSU is on a 9-0 run.

Gary Payton in the crowd.

OSU has a 31-24 lead heading into a timeout.

A bit sloppy

So far this game is just plain sloppy. Both teams look like they need to settle down and focus on the basics.

Steals, fouls, missed shots. They happen in every game, maybe I was expecting more, but I'm hoping it can get cleaned up.

Cunningham is playing well. The Huskies are going to have to find a way to stop him if they want to win.

Just heard OSU has had 9 points in the last 64 seconds.

OSU 31, UW 25
This post was edited on 3/8 12:47 PM by ksayles

Poor defense

Huskies are playing poor defense. Plain and simple. OSU is getting easy looks in the paint, and Starks is wide open on his three-point field goals.

Huskies going with a small lineup

Terrence Ross just came in for Darnell Gant, which means the Huskies have Gaddy, Wroten, Wilcox, Ross and Kemp.

Interesting move. It should help the offense, but the Huskies have been getting beat up down low on D, and this certainly won't help.

We'll see.

OSU increasing lead

Wilcox hits another three. That's a good sign for UW.

Sean Kemp Jr. sighting. Nice block inside, then makes a bad offensive foul on big Joe Burton. Wasn't even sure he could be knocked down like that.

Starks with another three. That makes three for him.

OSU on a big run. UW looks lost offensively and defensively.

OSU up 41-31 with 2 minutes to go in the first half.

No passion or energy whatsoever

Does anyone on this team want to make the NCAA Tournament? Doesn't appear so.

Someone has to step up and be the leader. Wroten is starting to look a little more aggressive, but the shots aren't falling. He needs to keep attacking no matter what.

Rebounds

The Huskies aren't getting their offensive rebounds, which is a problem for them.

As far as defensive rebounds, OSU isn't really giving them a chance with all this scoring.

I wonder what Romar will tell his team at halftime.

OSU 44, UW 33

Halftime

OSU 46, UW 33

OSU's energy turned into confidence.

UW's energy seemed to drain toward the end of the half. I'm guessing Wroten will come out of halftime re-energized. Maybe the rest of the team will follow suit.

Half-time thoughts

We're one half through the game now, and OSU leads 45-33.

Some quick observations. The Huskies are going to have to make some serious second half adjustments if they want to win this game. They don't look good right now.

OSU has more energy and have scored 30 points in the paint. That's not a typo. Huskies need to crack down on defense inside.

OSU seems to be playing with more urgency, and UW looks like they don't really care whether they win or lose this one. They need to understand they aren't in the NCAA tournament yet.

OSU has all the momentum. It will be interesting to see how UW responds in the second half.

Unfortunately, this will be my last last in-game post. As a student, I have class to go to. Too bad for me right?

I'll be here for post-game discussion.

Have fun watching the rest of the game, and hopefully for the Huskies, they can make a comeback.
This post was edited on 3/8 1:10 PM by lukese7

Fouls

Just an FYI:

N'Diaye and Gant both have 3 personal fouls.

Gaddy, Ross, Wilcox, Seferian-Jenkins and Kemp Jr. all have 1.

OSU 51, UW 44

Look at that, some urgency

I wouldn't have thought it possible, but the Huskies look like they want to make a comeback.

Abdul Gaddy especially has come out with more urgency and more passion, and the Dawgs are within 7. Tony Wroten and Terrence Ross have also looked more aggressive.

Still, if Washington is going to win this game it will have to step it up on defense and on the defensive glass.

Re: Fouls

N'Diaye looked pretty straight up to me, but he draws his fourth foul anyway. There goes some height for UW.

Abdul Gaddy hurt?

As we take a quick timeout, Gaddy is clutching his right elbow. He looks like he's in quite a bit of pain.

For the Huskies sake, they have to be hoping he's OK to keep playing like he has been this game. With 13 points, he leads the Huskies in scoring today, followed by Wroten with 12.

On another note, looks like the Huskies are starting to play with the energy and sense of urgency a lot of people were expecting to see.

(sideline reporter says the trainer told her he hyperextended his elbow, but he will be OK to play)
This post was edited on 3/8 1:35 PM by ksayles

Gaddy

Of course, just as Gaddy starts heating up (two 3's, 8 points in second half), he appears to hurt his elbow or wrist or something.

This would be a crushing loss for UW if it's a serious injury. Gaddy is the facilitator of this offense, and he does things Wroten can't.

UPDATE: According to UW's official basketball Twitter, Gaddy is fine. Catastrophe averted.

Huskies really aren't playing any different

Washington has come all the way back from 15 to take a 1-point lead, but I don't see any difference in the style of play.

What's changed is the energy. Their man-to-man defense has extended all the way outside the 3-point line and is looking far more suffocating than the first half. They are boxing out and getting defensive boards (for the most part).

On offense, they are just getting into what they want to do much quicker. They are getting out in transition or driving-and-kicking much earlier in the shot clock. It's resulted in better shots, which they are knocking down.

All of this results from energy. The Huskies have all the talent in the world, but they constantly fail to "get up" for certain opponents. That happened in the first half, but it appears they are finally back to their normal self.

If they keep up the new-found pressure, the Huskies will run away with this game.

UW captures momentum

Everything is going Washington's way now as the momentum has completely shifted the Huskies' way with Gaddy leading the way.

Washington now in front 59-54 after 22-3 run with just over 10 minutes remaining.

The best part about this game for this Husky team...

Is that Darnell Gant and Abdul Gaddy have been absolutely terrific.

Sure, Tony Wroten and Terrence Ross--Washington's top 2 offensive options--lead the scoring with 17 and 14 points, but don't overlook Gant and Gaddy's contributions.

Perhaps most quietly, Gant has 6 points, 8 rebounds (3 offensive), 4 assists and 1 steal. He's filling up the stat sheet.

Gaddy, who started out incredibly slow, started this comeback for the Huskies. Overall, he's knocked down three 3-pointers for 13 points to go with 5 assists and 3 rebounds and just 1 turnover.

If the Huskies get this kind of production out of Gaddy and Gant consistently (to go along with C.J Wilcox's 12 points), they will be a very hard team to beat.

Huskies lead 69-64, and the defense is starting to look a little soft again. Romar has went to the zone. Questionable decision in my opinion.

Huskies missing free throws

Even C.J. Wilcox, easily Washington's best shooter, has missed 2. That can't happen.

Momentum

The momentum for both teams has picked up. Obviously Gaddy helped the Huskies to their comeback in this game, but the rest of the team looks like they're playing with a sense of urgency.

OSU is still playing with energy too, so UW can't let up if they want to win. Some of their shots just aren't dropping, though.

Romar must have told his team something at halftime, because they're playing with the emotion that fans are used to seeing.

The Huskies will also need to keep watching Cunningham, who has had a good game so far.

The game is close enough that both teams need to watch their fouling.

OSU 69, UW 73

Re: Huskies missing free throws

Now Terrence Ross misses 2.

This is baffling.

Angus Brandt just scored to cut the lead to 4 with 4:30 to play. This one isn't over yet.

Momentum

The momentum for both teams has picked up. Obviously Gaddy helped the Huskies to their comeback in this game, but the rest of the team looks like they're playing with a sense of urgency.

OSU is still playing with energy, too, so UW can't let up if they want to win. Some of their shots just aren't dropping, though.

Romar must have told his team something at halftime, because they're playing with the emotion that fans are used to seeing.

The Huskies will also need to keep watching Cunningham, who has had a good game so far.

The game is close enough that both teams need to watch their fouling.

Wilcox is having a terrific game with 16 points and 3 3-pointers.

OSU 71, UW 75

That's it for N'Diaye

Aziz just fouled out with his fifth.

Also worth mentioning Tony Wroten. He's having a fantastic game to go with a great freshman season. He leads the team with 23 points.

OSU isn't giving up, though.

Huskies need a couple stops

OSU has cut the lead to 81-79 with 1:30 left. The Huskies will need to make free throws and get a stop or 2 if they want to win this one.

Tony Wroten more than clutch right now

Wroten has hit 6 straight free throws and is 9-for-11 on the night. He has 28 points and has been terrific.

OSU just hit a 3 though, and it's 83-82. Washington ball with just under a minute.

Charge on Terrence Ross

OSU takes over the ball down by 1. 43 seconds to play.

Most importantly, the Huskies need to remember to box when the shot goes up.

This game is intense

Wroten breaks his career-high scoring record and now has 29 points.

12 lead changes in this game. Keep in mind OSU was up by 13 at half.

UW up by 1 with 42.9 left.

Let's see what happens.

Now OSU up by 1 with 31.8 left.
This post was edited on 3/8 2:19 PM by ksayles

Jared Cunningham and-1

Cunningham drives the baseline, knocks down the layup and draws the blocking foul on Gaddy. He has a chance to put OSU up by 2 with 31.8 seconds left.

Wroten misses 2 free throws

After being so clutch, Tony Wroten, after drawing a foul, misses 2 free throws. Washington goes over the back and OSU goes to the line, up by 1, with 17.5 seconds left.

Cunningham misses both, Wroten back to the line

Cunningham responds with two more missed free throws then fouls Wroten with 9 seconds left.

Wroten misses both again.

Atrocious.

Wroten misses another 2

Wroten misses both free throws and Washington fouls Cunningham. He goes to the line with 6.2 left and OSU up by 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT