ADVERTISEMENT

DawgBites: Thursday, February 20

LarsHanson

Washington Publisher
Staff
Mar 11, 2016
DawgBites are back… get the latest recruiting nuggets on the Huskies below.

JD Coffey, four-star Kennedale (Tex.) safety: uncommitted

Coffey, a 6-foot, 175-pound safety, received an offer from the Huskies on January 29 and since then both UW defensive back coaches Will Harris and Terrence Brown have strengthened their relationship with him.

The nations No. 5 ranked safety based on Rivals’ rankings confirmed to the TDR that he will visit Seattle on March 11 for an unofficial visit. Coffey is one of a handful of targets by Harris at the position and getting the chance to host him early in the spring could go a long way for UW.

In addition to Brown and Harris the four-star DB is also in daily communication with Cornelius Washington, who is now the recruiting communications coordinator for the football program.

“Great relationship,” Coffey said this past Sunday on his relationship with Cornelius. “We have a real bond. He’s cool I can talk to him about anything. I like the Huskies and (I’m) planning on getting to know them more.”

Terrence Ferguson, four-star Littleton (Colo.) Heritage tight end: uncommitted

First-year tight ends coach Derham Cato has quickly developed a bond with Ferguson after he received his offer from Washington from the previous staff – Petersen and Jordan Paopao – back on Oct. 16 of last year.

Ferguson, listed at 6-foot-5 and 220-pounds, is well versed on how much of a role the TE position plays in the Huskies offense. Cato has continued to push that point since taking over his recruitment and the two have also begun to speak more often.

“I’ve learned a lot. He talks some X’s and O’s with me and just everything about UW,” Ferguson said earlier this month.

When asked about what Ferguson is looking for in the school he ends up choosing, he said “somewhere I fit and somewhere that they would use my skill set to create mismatches. And I’d say somewhere to develop for the next level.”

Fair to say that UW checks all of those boxes. However, Ferguson said he does not have any trips planned to any schools at this point and that he’s still working to determined when, and if, he will visit Seattle.

Other recruiting news and notes…

*** four-star Scottsdale (Ariz.) Saguaro offensive tackle Bram Walden told me this month at he will get up to Washington "soon" for a visit. Walden, a 6-foot-5 and 270-pound tackle is ranked as the No. 102 prospect overall by Rivals in the 2021 recruiting class and the No. 1 recruit from the state of Arizona.

*** four-star Houston (Tex.) Pearland running back Brandon Campbell remains the Huskies prime target at the position in the '21 class. UW RB coach Keith Bhonapha is in daily communication with Campbell and the two have struck up a solid relationship.

With LSU offering three-star San Diego (Calif.) Samuel F B Morse tailback Byron Cardwell recently it may lead to the Huskies turning up the heat even more on Campbell, the No. 12 ranked RB based on Rivals' position rankings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News