ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2013: defensive positions

ksayles

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2011
Taking a look at the Class of 2013 defensive positions[/B]

Kaelyn Sayles

For the past few weeks, I've been posting individual position breakdowns for the Class of 2013. Here's a complete breakdown of all the defensive positions signed for the newest class in Washington football.

Defensive line[/B]: [/B]

Washington head football coach Steve Sarkisian said after National Signing Day that on defense, bigger, faster and more athletic was key for their program.

Let's see how they did.

Defensive tackles…

Quick hits on the new Dawgs:[/I]

Andrew Bashum[/B] - 6-4/305. Recruited out of Lynnwood (Bothell) High School. "He's got a nasty streak to him that was unique, "Sarkisian said. "Great for us to get a local kid here with these talents."

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named to the Washington all-state team (all levels) by USA Today following senior season…earned first-team All-WesCo 3A honors on both the offensive and defensive lines as a junior…listed as the No. 4 prospect in the state of Washington and the No. 46 defensive tackle recruit in the county by scout.com…listed as a "white chip" recruit by the Seattle Times…as a junior, won the 3A state championship in the shotput with a throw of 55 feet, 7 inches…earned first-team All-WesCo for the track team as a sophomore and junior…took fourth in the state in the shot as a sophomore…played for coach Adam Fermstad as a senior at Lynnwood."

Elijah Qualls[/B] - 6-2/285. Recruited out of Casa Grande High School in Petaluma, Calif. Sarkisian described him as a "very athletic young man." He said that Qualls will be used as an interior defensive lineman, but when he gets one-on-one matchups, that will be a big key for us (the program) to develop that aspect of the game.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Earned first-team All-Metro from the San Francisco Chronicle…first-team All-North Bay League on defense and second-team on offense as a senior…earned third-team all-state (all levels) from CalHiSports.com…played defensive tackle, center and running back for the Gauchos…rushed for 708 yards and 10 touchdowns on 106 carries and notched 83 tackles as a senior…in 2012, Casa Grande went 7-4 and reached the second round of the CIF North Coast Section Division 2 playoffs…played in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl following senior season…also selected to play in the 2012 Cal State Game…in 2011, led Casa Grande to a 9-4 record and the second round of the playoffs…rushed for 1,139 yards and 13 touchdowns on 166 carries, and had 76 tackles, as a junior…earned CalHiSports all-state and first-team all-league as both a running back and a defensive lineman as a junior…began high school career as a sophomore at Cordova (Rancho Cordova, Calif.) High…named in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…ranked as the No. 11 defensive tackle recruit and the No. 87 overall prospect in the county by scout.com…ranked the No. 23 defensive tackle in the nation and the No. 33 recruit in California…ranked the No. 117 recruit in the country by ESPN.com…listed as the nation's No. 5 "athlete" recruit by MaxPreps.com…also an outstanding high school wrestler, winning the league title and advancing to state as a junior…played football for coach Trent Herzog."

Defensive ends…

Marcus Farria[/B] - 6-5/225. Recruited out of Centennial High School in Peoria, Ariz. Sarkisian said he's excited to watch Farria rush the passer. The coach said he brings things that they might not have in their program right now. According to Sarkisian, Farria really stayed true to his commitment to Washington, and at the end, he was the first guy to fax in his letter of intent at 7:01 a.m.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Earned Division II second-team all-state as a senior at Centennial…as a senior, helped Coyotes to a 12-2 record, including an 8-0 mark in league play…team reached the championship game in the state Division II tournament…as a junior, helped Coyotes to a 11-2 record and the state semifinals…moved to Arizona from Louisiana prior to junior year of high school…made the Tacoma News Tribune "Western 100" list…rated the No. 10 defensive end recruit in the country by MaxPreps.com…ranked as the nation's No. 13 weakside defensive end and the No. 7 overall prospect in Arizona by rivals.com…rated the No. 41 defensive end prospect in the country by scout.com…played for coach Richard Taylor."

Joe Mathis[/B] - 6-4/250. Recruited out of Upland High School in Ontario, Calif. The best word Sarkisian said he could describe Mathis as is "relentless." Sarkisian said he's a very good pass rusher and a natural-born leader, which is something they like out of him.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named to the All-Baseline League first-team as a senior…also earned first-team All-Inland Valley…San Bernardino Sun first-team all-area…second-team all-state honors from CalHiSports.com…in 2012, led Highlanders to a 12-1 overall record, the Baseline League title and the semifinals of the CIF Southern Section Inland Division playoffs…credited with 77 tackles and 10 sacks as a senior…played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl following senior season…also picked to play in the 2012 Cal State Game…as a junior earned first-team All-CIF Southern Section Inland Division…team also went 12-1 and made it to the Inland Division playoffs semifinals in 2011…as a sophomore, helped Upland to an 8-4 record and the second round of the playoffs…played at Colony High as a freshman…named in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…ranked the No. 11 strongside defensive end and No. 161 overall recruit in the nation, as well as the No. 18 prospect in California, by rivals.com…listed as the nation's No. 16 defensive end prospect and No. 147 overall recruit by scout.com…named to the ESPN 300…played for coach Tim Salter."

Linebackers[/B]: [/B]

For their 2013 signing class, Washington coaches were looking for length and size in their linebackers.

Head coach Steve Sarkisian said the guys they signed addressed those needs. He said they are big, strong, physical guys that still have length.

Along with that length, the coaches want to start getting linebackers that can cover more ground and have the ability to make tackles in space.

Sarkisian thinks these new guys can do just that.

Keishawn Bierria[/B] - 6-1/210. Recruited out of Narbonne High School in Carson, Calif. Sarkisian said that Bierria is a kid he's been in love with as a player since he went to a game earlier this year. At that game, Sarkisian said Bierria was the best player on the field with 15 DI players on the field as well. The coach said he'll be beneficial for the team because of his athleticism and size and could be used in nickel packages.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Earned Division I first-team all-state from MaxPreps.com…named first-team All-CIF Los Angeles City Section at linebacker at senior…also named to the Los Angeles Times' all-star team…CalHiSports.com second-team all-state…as a senior, helped Narbonne to a 14-1 record and a second consecutive L.A. City Section Division I championship, as well as a berth in the CIF South Regional championship game…credited with 87 tackles, including 12 for loss, as a senior…played in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl following senior season…earned second-team All-L.A. City Section as a junior…recorded 65 tackles as a junior…helped lead Gauchos to an 11-3 record and the City championship that season…began high school at Carson, where he played as a sophomore…notched 69 tackles as Carson went 12-3 and made it to the Los Angeles City Section championship game in 2010…rated the No. 46 outside linebacker in the nation by scout.com…ranked the No. 49 outside linebacker recruit in the nation by ESPN.com…played for coach Manuel Douglas."

Sean Constantine[/B] - 6-2/230. Recruited out of Bellevue (Wash.) High School. Sarkisian described Constantine as a traditional middle linebacker, and said they really need that on their roster.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Part of four 3A state champion football teams during four seasons at Bellevue, including the last three as a starter…helped lead Wolverines to a fourth-straight championship, a 14-0 record and, by several polls, the nation's No. 1 ranking as a senior in 2012…named to the MaxPreps.com "Medium Schools" All-America second-team…first-team 3A all-state as a senior…made the Seattle Times' all-state team (all levels) as a senior…as a junior, helped lead Bellevue to a 14-0 record and the state championship, earning first-team 3A all-state and first-team all-league…also made the Seattle Times all-state team (all levels) as a junior…as a sophomore in 2010, Bellevue went 13-1 and won the state crown…named second-team 2A/3A All-KingCo as a sophomore…listed as an offensive and defensive lineman as a freshman in 2009, when Wolverines went 12-2 and won state…named as a "red chip" recruit by the Seattle Times…made the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100" list…listed as the No. 5 prospect in the state of Washington and the No. 31 middle linebacker recruit in the nation by scout.com…rated the No. 16 inside linebacker in the country and No. 3 recruit in Washington by rivals.com…played for coach Butch Goncharoff."

Connor O'Brien[/B] - 6-3/230. Recruited out of Santa Margarita Catholic in Trabuco Canyon, Calif. O'Brien was a safety and wide receiver in high school. Sarkisian said his size and athleticism are really going to "take off" as an outside linebacker-type for Washington's system.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Earned all-county from the Orange County Register and first-team All-CIF Southern Section Pac-5 as a senior…also first-team All-Trinity League…named to the CalHiSports.com all-state third team (all levels)…credited with 85 tackles and four interceptions as a senior…played receiver and defensive back for the Eagles…helped team to a 9-3 record and the quarterfinals of the CIF Southern Section Pac-5 tournament as a senior in 2012…named to the All-CIF Southern Section Pac-5 Division first-team and first-team all-county as a junior in 2011, when he notched eight interceptions…Santa Margarita went 13-2, won the CIF Southern Section Pac-5 championship and beat Bellarmine 42-37 in the Division I Bowl in 2011…in 2010, team went 9-3 and made the second round of the playoffs…named in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…ranked the No. 29 safety in the country and the No. 47 recruit in California by rivals.com…rated the No. 34 outside linebacker recruit in the nation by scout.com…played for coach Harry Welch."

Azeem Victor[/B] - 6-4/230. Recruited out of Pomona High School in Upland, Calif. Sarkisian said he's an inside linebacker-type and will be a real opposing force on defense.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named to the All-Valle Vista League first-team as a senior linebacker…also earned second-team all-area from the San Gabriel Valley Tribune in 2012…attended Lynnwood (Calif.) High as a sophomore and junior, playing defensive end and tight end…rated the No. 62 outside linebacker prospect in the country and No. 86 overall player in California by rivals.com…ranked the country's No. 106 outside linebacker recruit by scout.com…played for coach Aaron Jamieson at Pomona."

Defensive backs[/B]:[/B]

[/B]

More and more, Washington has been shifting to finding long players to make up the secondary.

During the recruitment process, that didn't change. Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian said they looked for long, good cover guys that were physical, and that was a big key for them on defense.

Sarkisian knows that in the past, they've had issues on defense covering the spread offense. So, they recruited guys that can win one-on-one matchups. He said he wants a secondary that can cover and have the physicality to tackle in bubble screens and in space.

Sarkisian said they addressed that need, and the biggest thing that stands out when he looks at the new players in the secondary is the length.

Patrick Enewally[/B] - 6-1/190. Cornerback recruited out of Gahr High School in Norwalk, Calif.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Played wide receiver and safety at Gahr…selected to play in the 2012 Cal State all-star game…played three years on the varsity, teaming with current Husky Joshua Perkins as a sophomore at Gahr…rated the No. 50 cornerback prospect in the nation by scout.com…named the No. 92 recruit in California by rivals.com…played for coach Greg Marshall."

Jermaine Kelly[/B] - 6-2/185. Cornerback recruited out of Salesian High School in Los Angeles, Calif.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Earned first-team All-CIF Southern Section Northeast Division as a senior in 2012…also named to the All-Santa Fe League first team…helped lead Salesian to an 11-2 record and the semifinals of the Northeast Division playoffs…selected to play in the 2012 Cal State Game…attended San Pedro High as a junior…helped lead San Pedro to a 12-1 record and a berth in the semifinals of the Los Angeles City Section Division I playoffs…played wide receiver, cornerback and returned kicks for the Comets…named in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…ranked the nation's No. 16 cornerback prospect and No. 157 overall recruit by scout.com…rated the No. 21 corner and No. 225 overall prospect in the nation by rivals.com, who also listed him as the No. 27 recruit in California…also a sprinter on the track team in high school…played for coach Roddy Hiatt at Salesian."

Kevin King[/B] - 6-2/170. Cornerback recruited out of Bishop O'Dowd High School in San Leandro, Calif.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named to the Contra Costa Times' All-East Bay first team as a defensive back…earned first-team All-Metro from the San Francisco Chronicle…first-team All-West Alameda County Foothill League…also named first-team All-NorCal and first-team Division III all-state by MaxPreps.com…helped to take Bishop O'Dowd to the second round of the CIF North Coast Section Division 3 playoffs as a senior…chosen to play in the 2012 Cal State Game…prior to senior season, named defensive MVP at the Oakland Nike Football Training Camp…as a junior, helped the Dragons to a 9-3 record and the second round of the playoffs…ranked No. 6 on the Bay Area News Group's "Cream of the Crop" list of Bay Area recruits…rated the No. 45 cornerback recruit in the nation by scout.com…ranked the No. 53 cornerback prospect and No. 73 overall recruit in California by rivals.com…also competed in sprints, hurdles, long jump and high jump on the track team…played football for coach Hardy Nickerson."

Trevor Walker[/B] - 5-11/180. Safety recruited out of Mansfield Timberview in Arlington, Texas.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named to the District 7 5A all-district team as both a junior and a senior…notched 89 tackles and five interceptions as a junior, when Timberview went 12-3…helped the Wolves to the 5A Division II state semifinals, the deepest run in school history, in 2011…ranked the No. 43 safety prospect in the nation by ESPN…rated the No. 47 safety recruit in the country by rivals.com and the No. 63 safety by scout.com…played for coach James Brown as a senior."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT