ADVERTISEMENT

UW vs. SDSU

ksayles

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2011
I'm in downtown Seattle at CenturyLink Field for the UW vs. SDSU football game. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. PT. I'll be tweeting (@KaelynSayles) throughout the game and will be posting to this message board thread. Share in the discussion here!

Sarkisian talks game day

Sarkisian talks game day

Kaelyn Sayles

On Thursday, head coach Steve Sarkisian talked to the media about the upcoming game day.

Curiosity surrounding this game has been huge. Everyone wants to know what the Husky football team looks like after how they ended last season in the Alamo Bowl loss. Maybe one of the most curious is Sarkisian.

"I think there's always curiosity. You feel like you've got a great handle, but things change when the lights come on," Sarkisian said. "I try and go in with an idea of what might happen, but I also try not to be shocked when things go in a different direction than I've envisioned."

It's been evident throughout fall camp that the Dawgs are hungry to get back out on the field and show how they've improved. One of the frustrating things, according to coaches, was that the guys think that they're better than they were at the end of last season, so they're ready to prove that.

Early on in training camp, Sarkisian compared his players to dogs being kept tied to the porch for too long - hungry and ready to be unleashed.

That hasn't changed.

"They were all kind of barking today about wanting to get let off the porch and off the leash and let them go, so I think they're excited," Sarkisian said. "It's like anybody any time you keep banging heads with the same guy across from you, you're just excited to play somebody else."

Although they're excited to play an opponent, Sarkisian said the key will be to play smart football. This idea of execution and smart football has been stressed to the players since the beginning of camp.

Sarkisian said the big thing will be to not let their emotions get the best of them and to just let the game come to them, not forcing anything.

And then there's staying true to themselves.

"From the opening snap we're going to try and be us and stay aggressive," Sarkisian said.

Quick hits:[/B]

Because of limited locker space at CenturyLink, Washington won't be able to dress as many players as they might want to. On Thursday, Sarkisian said they will dress upwards of 80 of the 105.

Also on Thursday, Sarkisian said there won't be any limitations. Players who can play will, and those who we already know can't, won't. One of those players that's ready to go is wide receiver Kevin Smith, who spent most of training camp in a gold limited jersey due to injury.

Washington captains: Sean Parker, Desmond Trufant, John Timu, Keith Price, Drew Schaefer.

UW wins the coin toss. They defer. SDSU will receive and we'll get our first look at the Washington defense.

End of 1st Quarter

After the end of the first quarter, here are some quick highlights:

UW 14 - SDSU 0

Bishop Sankey with a 2 yard touchdown.

Kasen Williams with an 8 yard touchdown.

Josh Shirley with 2 sacks for a total loss of 13 from those.

Tre Watson with a 34 yard interception.

Desmond Trufant with a sack that resulted in a loss of 8.

After the 1st half

It's the end of the first half here at CenturyLink with the score of Washington 14 - San Diego State 6.

SDSU got its first touchdown with a 47 yard touchdown pass from Ryan Katz to Tim Vizzi. The Aztecs then attempted a two point conversion that was no good.

We saw a lot more penalties in the second quarter, many against the Huskies. There was a delay of game and an illegal block below the waist. And of course, the pass interference call against Kasen Williams that negated his 39 yard touchdown.

Bishop Sankey has been taking most of the carries as Jesse Callier sits out on the sideline with what appears to be a knee injury. True freshman Erich Wilson II has also gotten a few carries. He's showing off some of that speed we saw in fall camp, and has a total of 22 rushing yards. As of halftime, Sankey has nine carries with a gain of 53 rushing yards and a loss of 4.

Here are the true freshmen who have seen playing time so far this game: Jaydon Mickens, Kendyl Taylor, Shaq Thompson, Erich Wilson II, Korey Durkee and Pio Vatuvei.

Keith Price has thrown for 146 yards and was sacked once by Derek Largent for an 11 yard loss.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Kasen Williams both have 44 receiving yards. True freshman Jaydon Mickens has 16 receiving yards.

As far as tackles go, Sean Parker has a total of 3, and John Timu, Desmond Trufant and Travis Feeney all have two.

Seferian-Jenkins and Williams are looking strong, and it's pretty obvious that it's difficult for just one guy to take them on for a tackle.

End of 3rd

At the end of the third quarter, the score is UW 21 - SDSU 6.

Tonight's attendance is 53,742.

Final

Washington 21 - San Diego State 12

There will be a game story posted later tonight (and by tonight, I mean early early morning), so be on the lookout for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT