ADVERTISEMENT

The Latest on OL coaching search...

LarsHanson

Washington Publisher
Staff
Mar 11, 2016
Was able to confirm earlier this afternoon that UW offensive line coach / associate head coach Chris Strausser has officially accepted the Denver Broncos assistant offensive line coaching position and is leaving with the search already under way.

From what I'm told UW coach Chris Petersen will go outside the program again for Strausser's replacement, with the expectation that the hire will be made relatively quickly. I've already complied a couple names that are expected to be considered for the position with a couple having Boise State ties.

Another name that popped in my head is Colorado OL coach Klayton Adams, a former Bronco offensive lineman from 2003-04 who also served as a graduate assistant in 2006 before Petersen was promoted to head coach. The two are close and Petersen holds Adams in high regard, but it might be hard for UW to pry him away from Colorado this close to spring football.

The key for Petersen is the assistant coaches salary pool will increase significantly once the coaching staff is finalized heading into spring ball. Expect several UW defensive assistants to get a raise, including both DC Pete Kwiatkowski and Co-DC Jimmy Lake, who turned down an offer to become Cal's defensive coordinator this off-season.

Despite now sharing the offensive coordinator title with newly hired wide receivers coach Matt Lubick, the Huskies are also expected to give Jonathan Smith a substantial raise. Smith's contract ran out on Jan. 31, but the understanding has been he would receive a new contract following a resurgence last season.

Prior to becoming CU's OL coach / assistant HC last offseason Adams served as running backs and tight ends coach from 2013-15. The co-titles earned Adams $250,000 a year, essentially level with UW running backs coach / recruiting coordinator Keith Bhonpaha, with a raise likely needed to lure him to Washington.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News