ADVERTISEMENT

Reaction to Huskies loss to Beavers

lukese7

Oct 2, 2011
Post your reaction below to the Huskies 86-84 loss to the Beavers in the Pac-12 Tournament.

I'll start by mentioning a few things.

This is the first time a No. 9 seed has beat a No. 1 seed in the Pac-12 tourney.

There were 59 FT taken in the game, and teams made only 29.

The Huskies were 12-26 from the charity stripe. That basically says it all.

I wasn't able to watch most of the second half, but kept up with it on Twitter and ESPN Gamecast. When the Huskies made that big run to start the second half, initially, I was a bit surprised, but I didn't think it was an unreasonable occurance. The Dawgs came out with a lot of energy and even held a decent lead for a good portion of the second half, but just couldn't close it out. They missed way too many FT's down the stretch, and that's the most obvious reason they lost. But, I think there are underlying issues with this team that need to be addressed.

The Dawgs probably went into the game with the assumption that it wouldn't be a grind, and they could coast to the win. That clearly wasn't the case. A lot of territory comes with being the Pac-12 Conference regular season Champion, and the Huskies did not defend their territory well.

Give OSU credit, they seemed to want it more. From the beginning, they came out more energized than UW, and with a higher sense of urgency. They seemed like they needed to win this game, and technically they did need it if they want to get into the NCAA. That's still a long-shot for them though.

In my personal opinion, UW players are so celebrated and talented, and they understand how much they mean to the Seattle community, that sometimes they might feel like they deserve wins. No team deserves anything. You have to work hard, learn from your mistakes, and take no possession or game for granted. Everything has to be earned. I think that's something often overlooked in sports, and Romar should preach it to next years team as well as future teams.

As for the future of this season, it doesn't look like the UW will be playing in the NCAA tournament after all. At this point it would take a miracle for them to make it in. As a result, they will play in the NIT tournament, something they could potentially win. But the way they played today, I doubt they would have much desire to win the NIT. It might not be good enough for them.

As for Wroten, he had a spectacular game up until his final missed free throws. It's pretty crazy how in sports you can go from being the potential hero to the scape goat in such a short amount of time. If Wroten made his free throws, which he sunk up until the end when it mattered most, he'd be celebrated right now for his great effort. But because he missed them, he's being criticized heavily for the loss, when in reality he was the best player for the Dawgs.

More thoughts to come.
This post was edited on 3/8 3:31 PM by lukese7

Not entirely surprised by this, but Washington still deserves NCAA bid

The Huskies are a very young team that probably overachieved to get this far.

I'm not saying they're not good. They have talent through the roof. I've been amazed that Washington has done so well this season with so much young talent.

I think the lack of a go-to forward has killed them. They had that last year with Matthew Bryan-Amaning. He was so valuable to the team last season and the year before.

The Huskies have all these wonderful individual pieces but when you fit them all together there are some awkward gaps.

I hope Tony Wroten stays another year. He needs to shore up some rough spots in his game such as outside shooting and free throw shooting. What's the point of driving hard to the basket and getting fouled if you can't make your free throws. But Wroten knows that. I'm sure he's taking this loss hard. Somebody ought to tell him how much his play this season put him in this position in the first place.

Again, they have some very nice pieces: Gaddy is solid, Aziz N'Diaye is a menance in the defensive interior, Terrence Ross is an amazing shooter and athlete, and C.J. Wilcox can shoot like few others.

I think the Huskies deserve a shot in the NCAA Tournament. They have star power and they have Lorenzo Romar, one of the more respected coaches in the game. And regardless how they did it, they won the Pac-12 title outright. The Pac-12 Tournament is a crap shoot.

It was a great Comeback, But it was all for not because they "Can't" make their free throws! 6 missed free throws in the last 5 minutes! Wilcox is such a great shooter, Why can't he make his free throws..? Lorenzo are we practicing free throws..? YOU GOTTA make the free ones in crunch time!
and they didn't, and a tourney invite is Lost because of it!
its Heart breaking!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT