ADVERTISEMENT

Game preview: UW vs. LSU discussion

ksayles

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2011
Friday morning I'll be on this board answering questions anyone might have regarding the upcoming UW vs. LSU football game on Saturday.

Feel free to post questions and discuss. Think of this as an away game preview. I'll answer any questions and analysis that I can.

Does it look like UW is going to go with mostly a 4-3 with two DTs to counter the LSU run game? And how do you think the UW corners match up with LSU receivers, because they're going to be on their own I'd imagine.

UW defense

Does it look like UW is going to go with mostly a 4-3 with two DTs to counter the LSU run game? And how do you think the UW corners match up with LSU receivers, because they're going to be on their own I'd imagine.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a 4-3 this week.

My guess for the starting lineup on defense goes something like this:

Talia Crichton (DE), Danny Shelton (NT), Andrew Hudson (DE), Josh Shirley (R), Travis Feeney (OLB), John Timu (ILB), Shaq Thompson (OLB/NI), Will Shamburger (S), Sean Parker (S), Desmond Trufant (CB), Tre Watson (CB).

Princeton Fuimaono will also get plenty of time at OLB. Justin Glenn will share that safety spot with Shamburger.

Shirley will be huge in pressuring LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger. Timu will have to step up his tackling from last Saturday's game if he wants to stop the run this Saturday. The defensive line will need to stay big and fast, but I'm fairly certain they'll be rotating guys just like they will on the offensive line so none of the big playmakers get exhausted early.

LSU has some dangerous receivers, especially with a big quarterback like Mettenberger who likes to stand in the pocket and throw long, deep balls. Trufant will be key to helping keep those passes from connecting. I think Trufant has the drive and talent to have a great senior season, and this game will put his ability to the test. After last week's pick, Watson should come in to this game with a bit of confidence, but will have to play fast, smart and strong if he wants to be part of stopping LSU.

All of the defensive backs are going to have their work cut out for them, though. Parker and Trufant are the guys to watch out for back there.

LSU WR Jarvis Landry had eight receptions for 82 yards in last Saturday's season opener. That's one of the big players UW's defense will have to watch for in the air. Kenny Hilliard and Alfred Blue, both rushing for over 100 yards last weekend, will be the players to watch for on the ground.

Unfortunately I think this game is going to look a lot like the UM/Alabama game. LSU is just on another level. I'll be pulling for the Dawgs tho!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT