ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead: Washington at Arizona

ksayles

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2011
Looking ahead: Washington travels to Arizona[/B]

Kaelyn Sayles

This Saturday, Arizona plays host to Washington as the second half of the football season gets underway.

Arizona is known for its fast-paced offense, and Washington is well-aware of the need to keep up the tempo and make stops on first down.

Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian described playing Arizona as being like playing two games in one.

In the first six games of the season, Arizona averaged 90.5 plays per game, while Washington averaged 67.7 plays per game. The average total offense per game Arizona gained so far this season? 551.3 yards. Washington averaged 317.5 yards of total offense in the first six games.

They "operate at an extremely high tempo," Sarkisian said. "I think the goal is to run about 100 plays a game."

This means the speed of the game is going to increase.

In order to prepare, Washington has been running fast practices with the service offense running no huddle periods to try and replicate what they'll be seeing on Saturday.

Sarkisian said they understand the fast pace, but that it can never be truly replicated in practice.

"We'll just have to respond and adjust to the speed and the tempo of it when we play," Sarkisian said.

So, yes, the offense is fast. And individually, Arizona has some standout players, as well.

Sarkisian pointed out "tremendous running back" Ka'Deem Carey, who has 670 total yards and 10 touchdowns, and "big receivers" Austin Hill, who has 42 receptions for 608 yards and five touchdowns, and Dan Buckner, who has 39 receptions for 513 yards and two touchdowns.

Sarkisian also mentioned quarterback Matt Scott, who he said fits perfectly into Arizona's system. He said Scott has a quick release to get the ball to the perimeter and he can also run. Scott is currently 186 for 289 with seven interceptions, 13 touchdowns and 2,099 passing yards. [/B]

"I don't know if they're as multiple as Oregon, but they might even be faster," Sarkisian said. "They're really going to try to go as fast as they can go."

And it's not just Arizona's offense that Washington should be worried about.

The numbers on defense speak for themselves: six sacks, five interceptions and 450 total tackles. Four of Arizona's defensive players have over 40 tackles each, including linebacker Jake Fischer who actually has 58.

The key to preparing for Arizona is focus.

"You can't look at jersey numbers when you play these guys," Sarkisian said. "They move guys around, so we have to block the look and not the number."

Just like every week, the team is focusing on execution.

Through some of the tough losses so far this season, that message is becoming even more clear.

"You can't score points if you don't execute," quarterback Keith Price said. "That's our main motto is to execute and taking care of the ball."

So this Saturday, the Huskies will take on a tough Arizona team on the Wildcats' turf, hoping to pull a win out to start the second half of the season.

"I believe in our system, I believe in our coaches and I believe in Keith Price, so we'll be OK," Sarkisian said.

Washington at Arizona - Saturday, October 20 at 7:00 p.m. PT. Radio: 950 KJR-AM, 102.9 FM. TV: Pac-12 Networks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT