ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2013: offensive positions

ksayles

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2011
Taking a look at the Class of 2013 offensive positions[/B]

Kaelyn Sayles

For the past few weeks, I've been posting individual position breakdowns for the Class of 2013. Here's a complete breakdown of all the offensive positions signed for the newest class in Washington football.

Offensive line[/B]:[/B]

The offensive line protects the quarterback. It protects the pass. It protects the rush.

Washington head football coach Steve Sarkisian said this will always be a position of emphasis, and this year was no different.

"Our sheer numbers on the offensive line are not bad," Sarkisian said. "We lost one player this year in graduation in Drew Schaefer. We brought in three."

These three - center Dane Crane, tackle Andrew Kirkland and tackle Coleman Shelton - hit the Dawgs' needs at the position.

The Washington coaching staff didn't reach late on offensive line recruits because they weren't concerned with the numbers. Instead, they stayed true to who they wanted.

"I feel great about these guys," Sarkisian said. "We got a center and two tackles, and that was the emphasis for us. It wasn't the guard play at all."

Through various factors, especially injury, the youth of the offensive line last season was made painfully apparent. Sarkisian acknowledged this issue of youth as the biggest for the offensive line.

With only one lineman gone, the three new players will be joining a group that has some experience under their belts.

Quick hits on the new Dawgs:[/I]

Dane Crane[/B] - 6-3/308. Recruited as a center for the offensive line out of Santa Margarita Catholic in Irvine, Calif. Sarkisian said Crane was a player who they identified early as one who had the potential to be all-conference. The Washington coach also described Crane as a great kid, a great leader and someone who has football in his blood. "(Crane) really was one of the leaders of this class. That's what a center's supposed to be," Sarkisian said.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named first-team all-county by the Orange County Register as a senior in 2012…named to MaxPreps.com's Division I all-state first team…also on CalHiSports.com's all-state first team…also the Trinity League Co-Most Valuable Lineman and first-team All-CIF Southern Section Pac-5…earned a spot on the Los Angeles Times' all-area team…helped lead the Eagles to a 9-3 record and the quarterfinals of the CIF Southern Section Pac-5 playoffs as a senior…played in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl following senior season…as a junior, Santa Margarita went 13-2, won the CIF Southern Section Pac-5 championship and beat Bellarmine 42-37 in the Division I Bowl, the state title game in California…named first-team All-Trinity League and second-team all-county as a junior…as a sophomore in 2010, helped Eagles to a 9-3 record and the second round of the playoffs…named in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…ranked the No. 3 center in the country by scout.com…ranked the No. 7 center in the nation and No. 64 recruit in California by rivals.com…played for coach Harry Welch."

Andrew Kirkland[/B] - 6-5/300. An offensive lineman to be used as a tackle out of Jesuit High School in Portland, Ore. Sarkisian said Kirkland came to camp with the team this summer and continued to dominate in training camp.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named to the 6A all-state first team as a senior offensive lineman…also a first-team All-Metro League selection…helped lead Crusaders to a 12-3 overall record and the semifinals of the 6A state playoffs as a senior in 2012…as a junior, led Jesuit to a 9-4 overall record and the Class 6A Metro League title…the Crusaders reached the semifinals of the 6A state playoffs in 2011…in 2010, Jesuit went 11-2 and advanced to the 6A state semifinals…ranked the No. 38 offensive guard prospect in the nation by scout.com…ranked as Oregon's No. 7 overall prospect by rivals.com…also threw discus in high school…played football for coach Ken Potter."

Coleman Shelton[/B] - 6-5/285. The other offensive lineman recruited as a tackle. Shelton was recruited out of Loyola in Pasadena, Calif. "Quite honestly, he was under-recruited," Sarkisian said. "Fantastic player. Young guy, plenty of room to develop, but excited for what he brings."

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Played on the offensive and defensive lines at Loyola…earned All-Serra League as a junior and senior…as a junior, helped lead the Cubs to an 8-3 record and a trip to the CIF Southern Section Pac-5 playoffs…named a top offensive lineman in the area by the Los Angeles Times prior to junior and senior seasons…rated the nation's No. 19 center prospect by rivals.com…played for coach Michael Christensen."

Tight end[/B]:[/B]

David Ajamu will have some good teachers when he gets to Washington.

Ajamu is joining a tight end group that includes one of the nation's top tight ends, Austin Seferian-Jenkins. It's hard not to think he'll have a lot to gain from practicing and playing with Seferian-Jenkins and Michael Hartvigson.

The Huskies needed another player that could fill in when Seferian-Jenkins will undoubtedly get targeted during games.

Now, Ajamu could have the chance to add his name to the list of players competing to fill that third receiver slot the Dawgs have been looking for over the past year.

Quick hits on the new Dawg:[/I]

David Ajamu[/B] - 6-5/245. Recruited out of Shelton (Wash.) High School. Sarkisian described Ajamu as big and physical. He said he loves Ajamu's length and that he is an extremely competitive player.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named to the Associated Press 3A all-state first team following senior season…also listed on the Seattle Times' all-state first team (all levels) and to the 3A All-Narrows League first team…also played defensive line for the Highclimbers…helped lead Shelton to a 7-3 record in 2012…named to the 4A All-Narrows League team as a junior in 2011…listed as a "red chip" recruit by the Seattle Times…ranked the No. 65 tight end in the nation and the No. 6 recruit in the state of Washington by scout.com…played for coach Matt Hinkle at Shelton.

Tailback[/B]: [/B]

Last season, sophomore Bishop Sankey carried the weight of the running backs group. He had an outstanding season as he proved he could step up when an ACL injury sidelined junior Jesse Callier and the NFL took Chris Polk.

This season, there will be a few of the younger players who will be competing for play time that they didn't see much of last season. Players like Kendyl Taylor, Erich Wilson II, Dezden Petty and Willis Wilson. Also, fullback Jonathan Amosa.

And now, new tailback Lavon Coleman.

New running backs coach, new member of the group. Newly rehabilitated players making it back from last season's injuries.

Sankey will be trying to keep his starting position. Callier will be trying to get back to his shared role with Sankey. Coleman will join the others in trying to fit in and find their place.

Let the competition begin.

Lavon Coleman[/B] - 6-0/210. Recruited out of Lompoc (Calif.) High School. 220 lbs. Sarkisian said Coleman is "exactly what we were looking for in this class." The Washington coach said Coleman is a physical-type back that will compliment the other backs, and it was "cool" they were able to address that need in recruiting.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "As a senior, helped Lompoc to a 12-1 record…team had won 32 straight games before falling to Gardena Serra in the CIF Southern Section Western Division semi-finals…missed much of senior season due to injury, but still rushed for 887 yards and nine touchdowns on 128 carries…named first-team all-area despite missing time…rushed for 233 yards on 26 carries in a win over Frontier…went for 171 and two scores in a victory over Arroyo Grande as a senior…chosen to play in the 2012 Cal State Game…in 2011, rushed for 2,038 yards and 26 touchdowns on 295 carries…named the CIF-SS Northwest Division Offensive Player of the Year as a junior…team went 14-0 and won the CIF Southern Section Northwest championship, blanking Cabrillo, 21-0, in the title game, when Coleman rushed for 149 yards on 36 carries…top game was in a 28-0 win over Templeton when he rushed for 216 yards on 26 carries…also surpassed 200 yards vs. Torrance, rushing for 201 and three scores on 15 carries…ran for 183 yards and two TDs on just 12 carries in a win over Morro Bay in 2011…also helped lead team to the CIF Southern Section Northwest championship as a sophomore in 2010…named in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…rated the No. 21 running back in the country by MaxPreps.com…ranked as the No. 30 running back prospect and No. 247 overall recruit in the nation by scout.com…listed as the No. 42 running back in the country and No. 63 recruit in California by rivals.com…played for coach Andrew Jones at Lompoc, the alma mater of legendary UW tailback Napoleon Kaufman."

Wide receivers[/B]: [/B]

Head coach Steve Sarkisian couldn't be happier with the wide receivers Washington signed in February.

Darrell Daniels, John Ross and Damore'ea Stringfellow are "the best core of wide receivers in any class in the country, and they're all different," Sarkisian said.

The coach continued that he thinks this group of receivers has a chance to have an immediate impact for the football program. Sarkisian said the coaching staff felt they needed a group of wide receivers that could come in and score touchdowns for them not only in the red zone, but from a distance as well.

With that in mind, they targeted Daniels, Ross and Stringfellow as the top three in the Class of 2013 that they thought would have that immediate impact.

On top of that, Sarkisian was especially impressed with the strength of their commitment to Washington.

"What's been cool about all of this, all three of these young men have been committed to us for some time now and none of them have waivered. Not one of them. Not the kids, not their parents, not their coaches," Sarkisian said. "They've all been great about the process, and can't speak more about the character of these guys, as well as their athleticism and the impact I think they're going to have on our program."

Quick hits on the new Dawgs:[/I]

Darrell Daniels[/B] - 6-4/220. Recruited out of Freedom High School in Pittsburg, Calif. Sarkisian said he is excited about what Daniels brings, including his speed.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named the Bay Valley Athletic League Co-MVP as a senior, when he caught 54 passes for 947 yards and 20 touchdowns…earned first-team All-East Bay at wide receiver…also earned second-team All-East Bay on defense, where he notched 38 tackles and two interceptions as a defensive back…listed on the San Francisco Chronicle's All-Metro first-team as a receiver…earned All-NorCal first-team honors, as well as second-team Division I all-state, from MaxPreps.com…third-team all-state (all levels) from CalHiSports.com…also rushed for 332 yards on 40 carries and had two 100-yard rushing games as a senior…played in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl following senior season…also chosen to play in the 2012 Cal State Game…helped lead Eagles to a 9-3 overall record, the BVAL Championship and the three passes ? all touchdowns ? for 113 yards…top game was vs. Deer Valley, when he had 11 receptions for 195 yards…named the BVAL MVP in 2011 as a junior, earning first-team all-league at linebacker and second-team at wide receiver…caught 30 passes for 426 yards and seven TDs as Eagles went 10-2 and reached the second round of the playoffs…ranked No. 2 on the Bay Area News Group's "Cream of the Crop" list of Bay Area recruits…listed in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…listed as the nation's No. 99 overall prospect by MaxPreps.com…ranked the No. 20 wide receiver recruit and No. 154 overall prospect in the country by scout.com…listed as the No. 40 wideout and No. 245 overall prospect in the country and No. 35 recruit in California by rivals.com…ranked the No. 150 recruit in the country by ESPN.com…played for coach Kevin Hartwig."

John Ross[/B] - 5-11/180. Recruited out of Long Beach Jordan High School in Calif. Sarkisian described Ross as "very elusive" and "an excellent return man."

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Named the Moore League Offensive Player of the Year as a senior in 2012…played wide receiver and cornerback and returned kicks and punts for Jordan…named a second-team all-state multi-purpose player by CalHiSports.com…played in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl following senior season…also chosen to play in the 2012 Cal State Game…named the Moore League Co-Player of the Year as a junior…caught 56 catches for 994 yards and had six kick and punt returns for touchdowns as a junior…named in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…ranked the No. 14 "athlete" recruit in the nation by MaxPreps.com…listed as the nation's No. 15 wide receiver recruit and No. 113 overall prospect in the country by scout.com…ranked the No. 57 prospect in California by rivals.com…also a sprinter on the track team, taking second in the 100 meters at the Moore League meet as a junior in 2012…played football for coach Thomas Barnes."

Damore'ea Stringfellow[/B] - 6-3/215. Recruited out of Rancho Verde High School in Perris, Calif. Sarkisian said Stringfellow's physical stature already makes him look like he's an NFL wide out.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Earned first-team All-CIF Southern Section Central Division honors as a senior…named third-team all-state (all levels) by CalHiSports.com…led Rancho Verde to a 10-4 overall record and the championship game of the Central Division playoffs in 2012…played in the Under Armour All-America game following senior season…also selected to play in the 2012 Cal State Game and named to the Riverside County squad for the Inland Empire All-Star Football Classic…as a junior, helped lead the Mustangs to a perfect 14-0 record and the CIF Southern Section Inland Division championship…as a sophomore, Rancho Verde was 13-1 and made it to the playoff final before suffering first loss…listed in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…rated the No. 51 prospect in the country and No. 4 recruit in California (all positions) by ESPN.com, which also ranked him the No. 6 receiver in the nation…ranked the No. 9 wide receiver and No. 85 overall prospect in the country, as well as the No. 6 player in California, by rivals.com…rated the No. 11 wide receiver prospect and the No. 98 overall recruit in the nation by scout.com…played for coach Pete Duffy."

Quarterback[/B]: [/B]

[/B]

Quarterbacks want to sign with schools that are going to let them pass the ball. Receivers want to sign with schools that are going to draw up plays that get the ball thrown to them.

Pretty simple.

So simple, in fact, it's easy for Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian to use the two positions to help recruit each other.

"I think we've done a nice job here the last couple years of recruiting quarterbacks, and any smart receiver knows that they want to go play with good quarterbacks, and they want the ball," Sarkisian said.

The coach said he thinks the newest wide receivers Darrell Daniels, John Ross and Damore'ea Stringfellow believe they're going to have the ball thrown to them. He said their role on the team was explained to them, and they accepted that role.

Now, it's more a matter of execution.

"I think we have a system in place that allows the football to go to a variety of people," Sarkisian said. "It's not one that's just penciled in to just throwing it to one guy or two guys."

Sarkisian said he's excited about the opportunity to coach the receivers and dial up plays for them, which undoubtedly goes for his quarterbacks, as well.

So, who will be throwing the ball to these receivers?

Well, last season there was Keith Price and Derrick Brown. Also, Jeff Lindquist and Cyler Miles.

This season, they'll add Troy Williams to the list.

Williams, already enrolled at Washington, will get some of his first looks during spring camp.

"I can't say enough about Troy, been recruiting him for three years," Sarkisian said. "He's an extremely gifted young man."

Troy Williams[/B] - 6-2/205. Recruited out of Narbonne High School in Los Angeles, Calif. Sarkisian said Williams has a quick release and strong arm, and runs very well, although he's a passer first. He also noted his competitiveness, which should come in handy when he's battling for the quarterback position among so many other scholarship quarterbacks on the roster.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Earned the 2012 CIF Los Angeles City Section Division I Player of the Year…honorable mention Parade All-America…named the Los Angeles Times' back of the year as a senior…also named to the Times' all-area team as the first-team quarterback…earned the first-team spot on MaxPreps.com's Division I all-state team and on CalHiSports.com's all-state squad…played in the Cal State all-star game following senior season, throwing for two TDs and rushing for another to account for all three of his team's scores…completed 191 of 266 passes (.718) for 2,886 yards and 39 touchdowns with just six interceptions….also rushed for 396 yards and 10 TDs on 94 carries and served as the team's punter…helped Narbonne to a 14-1 record and a second consecutive L.A. City Section Division I championship and a berth in the CIF South Regional championship game…completed 27-of-36 passes for 362 yards and three TDs and also rushed for 106 yards on 11 carries in that game, the Gauchos' only loss of the year….in a win over Gardena as a senior, completed 19-of-25 for 349 yards and six TDs…threw a TD in all 15 games in 2012…had five touchdown passes in a win over George Washington Prep and four each vs. Locke and Garfield…also the City Section Player of the Year as a junior, when he led Narbonne to an 11-3 mark and the city title…completed 211 of 339 (.622) for 3,247 yards and 34 touchdowns as a junior, when he also rushed for 587 yards and 11 scores on 102 carries…top game as a junior was probably vs. Culver City, when he was 21-for-27 for 385 yards and four TDs with no interceptions…also had three other four-TD games and one with five touchdown passes as a junior…as a sophomore in 2010, was 200-for-317 for 2,597 yards and 23 touchdowns, earning first-team All-City Section quarterback…was the only sophomore on the entire All-City team that year…saw some action as a freshman as well, completing 8-of-12 for 130 and two scores…also played basketball for the Gauchos…named in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…listed as the No. 1 dual-threat QB recruit in the nation by rivals.com, who also rated him the No. 11 prospect in California and the No. 71 recruit in the nation…ESPN's No. 2 dual-threat QB in the country…ranked the No. 13 quarterback prospect in the nation by scout.com and played football for coach Manuel Douglas."

---

And a look at the newest addition to special teams.

Place kicker[/B]:[/B]

At the beginning of last season, punting duties were handled by freshman Korey Durkee while kicking duties were handled by junior college transfer Travis Coons.

However toward the end of the season, Durkee lost his starting role as Coons began to handle all kicking and punting duties himself.

This season, Durkee will have to compete again for his spot, and Coons will have to keep competing to keep his role as starter.

Enter Cameron Van Winkle, the newest addition to the kicking unit, who will simply be adding to the already fierce competition.

Cameron Van Winkle[/B] - 5-10/160. Recruited out of Mount Si High School in Fall City, Wash. Sarkisian described Van Winkle's leg as "tremendous." The coach also said he will be at Washington for spring quarter and will start competing for his spot.

Bio sketch from UW media[/I]: "Set state records for career (39) and for single-season field goals made (18 in 2011)…four-year starting kicker and punter at Mount Si…Associated Press 3A first-team all-state as a senior…also named to the Seattle Times all-state team (all levels) as a senior…KingCo 3A/2A Special Teams Player of the Year as a senior…made 10 field goals and 61-of-62 PATs as a senior and all but four kickoffs in 2012 resulted in touchbacks…helped lead Wildcats to an 11-2 overall record and a trip to the 3A state semifinals as a senior…made 18 of 21 field goal attempts as a junior in 2011, earning Junior All-America first-team honors from MaxPreps.com…earned AP all-state and Seattle Times all-state as a junior…also named first-team All-KingCo as a sophomore and honorable mention all-league as a freshman…one of just seven athletes named a "Northwest Nugget" by the Tacoma News-Tribune…also named in the Tacoma News-Tribune "Western 100"…named a "red chip" recruit by the Seattle Times…listed as the No. 9 overall recruit in Washington and the nation's No. 5 kicker by scout.com…named the No. 8 kicker in the country by rivals.com…played for coach Charlie Kinnune as a senior."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT